10-Step Skincare Routine

People tell me I’m crazy every time I tell them I have a 10-step skincare routine every night before I go to bed.

Honestly, though, I used to be like them.

Two years ago, I didn’t even use moisturiser let alone toner and sheet masks. But ever since I watched a lot of Korean skincare how-tos on YouTube, I decided to alter it to my liking and based on what I can afford/already have on hand.

Photo on 20-04-2016 at 8.44 PM #3

1. Water Cleanse

“Water cleanse? You mean like a detox?”

No. After a long day, we’re usually really lazy to remove our makeup, so we resort to using makeup wipes. DON’T.

You’re probably going “But why? My wipes work like a charm, it removes every single bit of makeup on my face.”

It does, but only the top layer of it. By using cleansing water, it gets all that nasty dirt and oil out of your pores. Yes, this means that even if you don’t use makeup you should still water cleanse!

2. Cleanse

This is what the skin experts like to call double-cleansing. It essentially means washing your face twice. After pulling all that grime out of your pores, use your face wash to really get in there and do it’s job more effectively.

3. Exfoliate

Girls and boys, if you have never exfoliated in your life — WHY HAVEN’T YOU?

Did you know that exfoliating your face can improve the texture of your skin? Whenever you exfoliate the dead skin cells on your face not only does it smoothen out your skin after but also speeds up the skin renewal process, which basically allows new and healthy cells to take over!

Note: Do not over exfoliate. 3 times a week should suffice. If you over-exfoliate, it thins down the top layer of your skin and would deprive your skin of its natural oil which is the good kind!

So remember, 3 times a week je. Don’t forget to exfoliate your lips as well!

Photo on 20-04-2016 at 8.55 PM #4

4. Toner

After taking all that nasty shit out of your pores, you gotta nourish it back by adding toner onto your face!

Not only does toner help shrink your pores, it also gives your skin a pH balance. Did you know that our skin is usually acidic? Due to the alkaline in the soap we use to wash our face, it messes up the pH balance resulting in unnecessary oil.

Don’t skip your toner, girls and boys!

5. Sheet Masks

Sheet masks are such a craze in the Asian market. Before this, I thought it was nothing but a load of crap or a waste of money.

Boy, was I wrong! A sheet mask is saturated in skin-loving ingredients that will allow your skin to absorb all the good stuff when left on for 10 – 15 minutes.

I only use a sheet mask on days I exfoliate, so that’s 3 times a week.

Photo on 20-04-2016 at 8.56 PM #3

6. Serum

Serum is made up of smaller molecules than moisturiser that can penetrate deeply into the skin and deliver a very high concentration of active ingredients.

It’s the perfect anti-aging product as it helps reduce wrinkles. It also helps soothes redness and brightens up your skin. You won’t see the results instantly, though.

In the long run — hello healthy glowing skin!

Photo on 20-04-2016 at 8.57 PM #4

7. Eye Cream

I don’t know about y’all, but I have really dry eyelids and under eyes. If you feel like you’re starting to have eye bags and dark circles, an eye cream will be your new best friend.

Eye creams usually fade dark circles and help smooth fine lines for brighter, younger-looking eyes.

On days I want to completely pamper myself I like putting soaked green tea bags on my eyes. It basically does the same thing an eye cream would, except I get to enjoy a drink while I’m at it.

8. Moisturiser

I’m so gila for skipping this step as a teenager. I deprived my skin of all the hydration it very much needed. Moisturisers keep the skin hydrated and help replenish the natural moisture elements in the upper layers of your skin.

Photo on 20-04-2016 at 8.59 PM #2

9. Acne Care

This step would only apply to those of you who have trouble/acne-prone skin.

The best product to use would be tea tree oil. Even though it is very harsh for the skin, you’ve already applied all the moisture and hydration your skin needs, so the tea tree oil wouldn’t be as drying or harsh on the skin!

Photo on 20-04-2016 at 9.00 PM

10. Lip Care

People often forget about caring for their lips when they’re too busy caring about what goes on their face. We pack on matte lipsticks day by day forgetting that it needs moisture too! I exfoliate my lips 3 times a week and apply a really good lip balm before going to bed. Honey would help too!

That’s all for my everyday skincare routine. However, I’d like to touch on keeping your skin healthy from the inside. Thought you were finally done with this post, huh? Sorry. Sikit lagi je.

Cleansing all the toxins from your body can help keep your skin radiant and glowing. It also prevents acne sprouts! Here’s how:

• Green Tea twice a day
  • 2 litres of water a day
  • Stay away from greasy foods and sugary drinks/snacks!

Good luck! P/S: Watch the video for the list of products I used and where you can get them!

Advertisements